Monday, February 9, 2015

25 - 27: Competitive Flossing


"Some people don't like competition
because it makes them work harder, better."
~Drew Carey


I do so love Drew Carey. Though I doubt he had in mind my competitive flossing when making this statement. 

Wuh? What? It should totally be an Olympic sport. Don't look at me like that. 

Hm. Perhaps I should explain this a bit better. 

Since I've been staying away from purchasing material possessions, I've been focusing on what I already own and, not just that, but my own self as well. 

First I began using the media I already had - the countless unread books, the video games, the beautiful outdoors just a few steps away. 

Then I found myself focusing on my body as well. My state of mind changed. My priorities even shifted a bit. With my attention removed from the latest thing I could acquire, I focused on myself more. 

No, I don't mean this in a selfish sense. I did not gobble up all the cookies in the house and leave none for my husband while screeching, "MINE! MINE!" Ahem. At least not this time. But I'm referencing taking care of my body in this case. Focusing on *gestures head to toe* me. 

Sure, I exercised semi-regularly prior to the 365 day challenge, but now I'm doing so with more consistency (I still have a bit of ways to go to be spot-on all the time, I'll admit). Additionally I'm taking time to really take care of myself. 

It began with the floss. 

On a dark and stormy night . . . 

No, I'm sorry. I just felt that bit needed some punching up. I'm not really sure about the state of the weather at the time. 

When I was cleaning out my bathroom closet I found four rolls of floss. I kept buying floss and then rarely using it. Because, let's be honest, flossing is not a highlight of one's day and it's easy to get in the habit of not doing it. 

But thanks to this challenge I'm becoming more frugal and more competitive with myself regarding my frugality. I was determined to use that floss up before buying any more and I began flossing daily. I would use up every bit of that floss (without cheating by tossing it out) and take better care of my teeth. Day one and two was filled with sore gums, but now ahh so much better. 

An Aside: No, I do not have horrid teeth. I have nice pearly whites, but I admit to a laziness in flossing that is probably the reason for why I had to get a few fillings a couple of years back. Ahem. Hey, at least I admitted it! 

In other words, this challenge is beginning to focus my attention on many other areas of my life. Areas that are more fulfilling, more important than the latest bauble or shirt. I'm focusing on going outside, seeing friends more, reading my books and letting them go and so much more. 

I'm excited. Who knows what will come next? 

Pay Up Time!

What did I buy on days 25 - 27 of my 365 days of No Buy, No Way, No How?

  • Nothing!
This comes to a whopping total of: 0.00 USD!


No comments:

Post a Comment