Thursday, January 15, 2015

1 & 2: Simplify, Simplify


"Our life is frittered away by detail . . . simplify, simplify." ~ Henry David Thoreau


I have so much in my home. Books, blankets, clothing galore. I am blessed, but I always want more, more, more.

How about not?

So here I am on day two of my purchasing No More Galore challenge for the next 365 days. It's time to kickstart myself onto a new sustainable (for the planet and for my wallet) way of living. Only necessities are allowed on this monetary diet. Mortgage? Of course! Electric bill? Yes, please. Groceries? Most definitely.

DVDs? Video games? Shoes? Clothes? That most divine set of decorative mirrors? No, no, no, no, and definitely not.

What in the world is wrong with you, woman? (Or so I imagine some of you may be asking)

I'm glad you asked. Let me tell you!

Since I can't be happy purchasing things for more than a few days before that newness vibe rubs off and I'm champing at the bit to do it all over again, I'm treating this like an addiction. Cold turkey, baby.

I tried this before last year. To say I failed miserably is a tad bit harsh, but probably true. I started off well enough. Soon, however, I found myself not only falling off the wagon, but leaping headfirst to the road screaming like a newly paid banshee at a 50% off extravaganza.

In other words . . . I bought a bunch of crud that I utterly did not need and it felt great. For about five minutes. Then it felt like yucky, crummy, crusty failure. Think old milk. Not tasty at all.

So let's try this again, shall we?

This time I've booted up a blog to charter my path and hopefully keep me straight and honest while I kick this consumer habit to the curb, once and for all.

Pay Up Time!

What did I buy on days 1 & 2 of my 365 days of No Buy, No Way, No How?

I am proud to report that I have purchased only:


  • 2 packages of organic chicken, 
  • 1 giant (non-organic, sniffle) avocado, 
  • 1 container of organic spring salad mix. 


This comes to a whopping total of 23.98 USD.

Boo-yah!

2 comments:

  1. I can honestly say that I did do this the year we lost the store - mostly out of necessity but it did make me mad to realize the layers of junk around our house from previous year's purchasing that simply add no value to our lives.
    I get this. And you will think harder and plan your spending better and appreciate the value of doing.
    I thought of it this way - If I am on a diet - and do well - I shouldn't reward that with icecream, right?
    So now I think thrrough every purchase, I find I want experiences more than things. Kewl!
    I may not be 100% doig this with you - but having been there - this will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Whisper!

    Even from my attempt last year I learned a lot about spending and what motivates me. This year, by golly, I'm going to stick with it. So much useless things come into my house from my neglectful spending and I'm so tired of it - especially of seeking happiness from purchasing instead of *doing*. I have more joy from remembering my trip to England than any of the goo gaws that came back to America with me!

    This will be good. Especially witnessing my inevitable mental breakdown halfway through. ^.~ ha!

    ReplyDelete